Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

To Wellington and Back

We are back home today after a couple of nights in Wellington, NSW. Tim's sister lives there and his mother was visiting too so it seemes like the ideal time to visit. Ideally it would have been a little cooler, we are used to the cooler temperatures of our valley but over there, the nights stayed hot and the sun seems brighter and hotter. It was a good trip with a few good discoveries along the way. I always like to visit gardens when I travel. It offers new ideas and inspiration. The fountain in the gardens at Wellington might be a little over-the-top for a home garden but it reminds me that I really want to add some sort of water feature to our garden. I think a pond might be more fitting for us.
The zinnias were a carpet of colour and just gorgeous. Mine aren't as good this year but there is still more summer for my zinnias to put on their show.

They had some awesome bunya trees. I have a wee specimen of about 1 metre. I think there were four in the gardens. I wonder if any of them produce? I know that I won't see any nuts from my tree, it is such a slow grower and I think I need another tree of the opposite gender to produce fruit. It is interesting enough though to keep it's place.


Along with visiting and eating out, we did some window shopping and some bush walking. We chose Mt Arthur for our walking, the tracks are fairly well marked and despite the heat it wasn't too hot because of the trees. We met Tony and his wife who are volunteers at the reserve and they were very friendly and informative.
I'm not sure when we will be back in Wellington but I hope it is during the cooler seasons. As always, going away no matter where, makes home so much sweeter.
Tracy

3 comments:

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Wow! the flowers look wonderful.

Sounds like you made the most of your trip despite the heat.

I also agree that after being away home and especially your own bed are so much nicer. One truely appreciates them!

Lisa said...

Beautiful zinnias! It's looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Blore said...

Going away always provides perspective!!