Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Autumn Sowing

The days are most definitely shortening so it is a good time to get busy in the garden. The weather is milder (today it is even overcast) so working is more pleasant. Everyday I can rely on the garden to provide for us and I want to make sure we don't have a lean gap between summery vegetables and wintery ones.

I have seeds on the go and I'm looking forward to the wholesome tastes of the cooler season crops. In the trays are:
  • Musselburgh leeks
  • Kale- Nero di toscano
  • Cauliflower- snowball
  • Cabbage- sugarloaf and Dutch red
  • Brussels sprouts- ruby and Evesham special
  • Broccoli- Romanesco, Waltham 29, purple sprouting, green sprouting and red arrow.

Today I will directly sow a few things too. I spent last night looking through my Digger's newsletter at the lovely things they have on offer. Although I'm not one who is prone to shopping trips for fun, I can certainly get carried away dreaming of new plants and seeds.

Tracy

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You grow such an interesting array of things.

Tania said...

Hi Tracy,

Yes it is definitely Autumn now although the temperature here is still in the mid 30's. I love this time of year, it is my all time favourite.

I am wanting to grow some things this winter in the garden so I had better get busy and do it soon!

Have a lovely day,
Tania

Vickie said...

Oh I so love seeing your posts on oyur gardening..wonderfult o read what your planting and seeing photos of what you have grown..makes me impatient to be down sth,cheers vickie