Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Savoury Please

I'm feeling a little in need of a savoury fix this afternoon. I have Tim and Tom both at home today. They are the two most appreciative of my cooking so I treated them to a little sweet treat. Meringues for Tom(he doesn't like cream) and meringues fancied up into mini-pavlovas for Tim.
Merinuges
Ingredients
3 tablespoons water
3/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 egg white.
Method
Pre-heat oven to about 120degC.
Beat egg white until peaks form.
Beat cornflour and vinegar into the egg white.
Heat sugar and water over a low heat until dissolved then bring to boil. Pour into the egg white mixture whilst the beaters are still running.
Continue beating until the mixture is quite stiff.
Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto a tray lined with baking paper.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes and then allow to cool in the oven with the door ajar.

The final straw on the sugary front though is the seven kilograms of honey we bottled up. You can't bottle it without a taste or two. I never ate honey until we had our own bees and now I am a definite convert. A couple of jars have been claimed but the rest should last us until next harvest.
One thing is for certain there will be no dessert in our house tonight. I am off to Sydney this weekend for my son to participate in an English workshop. Dinner out on Saturday night and most of Sunday to see the sights.
Tracy



4 comments:

Anne said...

Have a lovely time in Sydney, Bees are on our agenda a bit down the track, your honey looks great.

Lisa said...

I know exactly what you mean! Something caused me to eat quite a few Girl Scout thin mint cookies at lunchtime, and then someone gave me a box of orange creams chocolates - (I didn't eat the whole box), and I was definitely feeling over-sugared.

BubzRugz said...

Fresh home honey is better than anything.... I always loved it straight from the comb too....
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

any chance of buying a jar of honey???
have a nice time in Sydney...........the meringues look great........