Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sunday, time to catch up

I've been flitting about here at home and out sometimes too and as a result, I've been slack on updating here. I really should update here so I can at least remember what I did from one week to the next. It's so easy for things to slip your mind.
 
Cards from Linda

This week I received a very sweet card from Linda. Two cards actually an art card with some Damflask ducks and a postcard with an historical print of the Post office at Low Bradfield. Cute and quaint and just altogether a lovely surprise in my letter box. I hope I can find just the right thing to send back to Linda. Thank you so very much Linda.

Prepping the smoker

 No Valentine's Day celebrations here. It isn't our thing for no reason in particular. Actually it might be because it wasn't much of a big day back when we were growing up. It's popular now though.

What we have done though is inspect one hive.

My pink hive

My hive. The pink one. Not enough capped honey to extract again just yet but it won't be long. Sometimes the bees can be a bit angry when you open the hives in particular when you are robbing them of honey which does stand to reason. Today however was really pleasant. A few bumps to the bee veil but nothing too aggressive. All is well. It was nice to get out of the bee suit too, it's a hot one out there. 35degreesC by 10am.


And for reasons unbeknownst to me, I felt like making pies today. Yes, in the heat. The feeling has passed thank goodness and we have three pies for whenever. Leek and mushroom pie, Lentil pie and a beef and vegetable pie. I didn't think I would cook with meat again but the one of us who is low in iron prefers the idea of eating meat to taking supplements (though he has to take those too). It is homegrown meat so I'm glad it is being eaten even if I won't have any.

Thanks for visiting.
Tracy

4 comments:

River said...

Mmmm, pies. I've been thinking lately of a rhubarb-apple pie. I have the fruit cooked and frozen, just need to find the energy to make the pastry.

Amy at love made my home said...

Lovely to catch up with you. xx

Linda P said...

Glad you received the cards, Tracy. I hope you're getting many more for your postcard project. It must be wonderful to have your own honey. It was a good idea to make several pies when you felt in the mood. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Joan said...

Hi Tracy. I am sitting here catching up with various blogs. Your pies look lovely. I have just had a mince and veg pie for dinner. Joan Jepson